SupleeFlyFishing.com

SupleeFlyFishing.com
Check out our Website for more great Fly Fishing in Montana and The Florida Keys

Monday, January 4, 2010

Permit Flies



As I sit here in Montana waiting for the next powder day on the mountain. I dream of warm tropical spring days filled with visions of tailing permit. It brings me back to one of my all time favorite permit flies. We started fishing this fly over twelve years ago and I still fish it today. It has caught more permit for me and my customers than I cant count. This is a great late winter early spring pattern when the fish are looking for something substanial to eat. This time of the year you want to feed them not fool them. I have seen a similar this version of fly in shops from time to time but I have never seen it tied correctly.
I typically tie this fly on a size # 2 34007 stainless Mustad. You will need to hand sharpen this hook but I like them because they never rust. I also like the fact that it has a big barb so when it sinks into the rubby flesh of a permits face it almost never comes out.
You also want to make sure that you tie the EP fibers on the hook side of the shank so that the flie will not tumble when diving or being stripped. This often why a permit will spook off a fly while inspecting the offering. You can tie this fly in just about any color or size you choose. I like it in a brown, light tan or an olive.
I also like to add a shinny belly of thin skin to give the fly a more realistic look as well as a little flash if you cast is slightly off target. It will help to get the fishes attention as the fly is sinking towards the bottom.

Happy Tying and Good fishing.







Capt. Kris' "Jelly Belly Permit Fly"

Material List
Hook: Mustad 34007 size #2
Eyes: Lead Dumbell Eyes Medium
Body: EP Fibers Light Tan
Legs: Sili Legs Brown or tan with Pumkin flake
Tail: Bar dyed rabbit strip White and Brown
Belly: Sili Skin or thin skin white or pearl
Weed Gaurd: 16lb hard Mason doubled over hook shank

No comments:

Post a Comment