SupleeFlyFishing.com

SupleeFlyFishing.com
Check out our Website for more great Fly Fishing in Montana and The Florida Keys

Saturday, January 15, 2011

How to Deal with Bad Weather on your next fishing trip
















If you go on enough fishing trips you will be dealt the weather card eventually. I have been on lots of fishing trips around the World, and some are banner trips and others the weather gets in the way. So what do you do? Well for me I have spent a lot of money and time to get to my destination, air fare, lodge fees etc. Most fishing lodges throught out the world do not refund your money if the weather is bad. So rather than sit in the room I go fishing.





Often times you go on a trip in search of a specific species of fish and typically they are quite hard to catch even in ideal conditons. So for me its very important to have an open mind and a plan B. I never go on a fly fishing trip without some spinning tackle. If conditions arent right to fly fish I would still rather have a fun day on the water pursuing what ever is available with spinning tackle. You pay top dollar for a good guide so let them take you fishing, for what ever they feal is the best option on that given day. So what if you have to spend the day hidding against the mangroves catching snapper and grouper. It still is a lot of fun! And a whole lot better than spending the day in your hotel room watching the weather channel.





A prime example of this is a few years back I had a client come to fish with me for 3 days to try to catch his first Permit on fly. We picked the best tides for the best month and set the dates. When my angler showed up we were greeted by less than favorable conditions for permit fishing. It was glass calm and unseasonably hot for early March. Although there were lots of permit around getting close enough to make a cast with fly tackle was all but impossible. We spent the first day trying our best to get a shot at the extremely spooky permit, with out making a single cast. All through the day I was seeing huge schools of early season tarpon everywhere. They were enjoying the early summer like weather. My angler how ever had no interest in trying to pursue the the silver king. I tried everything I could to get him to change gears and fish for the species I felt like we had a really good chance of catching. He was paying for the trip and permit was what he wanted, so we kept permit fishing for two more days as I watched the tarpon swimming and rolling around the boat. At the end of three day trip we had made less than a half dozen casts to permit with out a single hook up and my angler left feeling fustrated and probaly ripped off. But the choice was his.





So on your next fishing trip where ever that may be, keep an open mind and let your guide do his job and enjoy the day no matter what the wheather throws at you. It may be extremely windy, or a cold front has moved trough or possibly a tropical strom, but I bet you will have a great trip with fond memories. With some great catches that you probaly didnt expect.





No comments:

Post a Comment